Welcome Players and Parents!
Since founding in 2008, South End Soccer has been committed to giving urban youth the opportunity to play the world’s most popular sport in a fun, supportive atmosphere. We offer recreational play for 5-14 year olds, and travel play for 9-18 year olds. We are a member of the Massachusetts Youth Soccer Association (MYSA), and follow their philosophy of coach training, instruction and play. Our coaches follow the Mass Youth Soccer curriculum. At every session we strive to provide a fun, active, age appropriate activities for your child that fosters comfort with the ball and a sense of teamwork. All players have a ball during practice skills, giving the opportunity of “LOTS” of touches which is the best way for children to learn and excel at the sport. Each year, we continue to strive to break down any barriers to urban youth getting on the field, and creating opportunities for varied levels of play, and player and coach development.
– When do we play?
- In-house recreational league plays in fall only – 1st week Sep. to 3rd week Nov. (registration in August/September)
- Travel teams play in fall & spring – Sep-Nov & Apr-June (tryouts in May/June for both seasons)
- In the winter, we offer training clinics and futsal – Jan to April (registration in Dec/Jan)
- In the summer, we partner with youth program to provide clinics & training
Below is a SAMPLE fall schedule, final schedules published 2nd week Sept.
- Monday between 6-8pm: Travel teams practice @ Madision Park Field & Roxbury YMCA
- Tuesday between 6-8pm: Gr. 1/2 Rec. teams practice @ Madision Park Field; and, Travel teams at Roxbury YMCA
- Wednesday between 6-8pm: Travel teams practice @ Madision Park Field & Roxbury YMCA
- Thursday between 6-8pm: Gr. 3/4 Rec. teams practice @ Madision Park Field; and Travel teams practice at Roxbury YMCA
- 9am-10am: TOPSoccer & Kindergarten Rec. team clinics @ Rotch Field
- 10:30-11:30am: Gr. 3/4 Rec. team games @ Rotch Field
- 9am-12pm: Gr. 1/2 Rec. team games @ Hurley Field (rotating schedule)
- Travel: Varied times for home & away games, home games @ Madison Park or Roxbury YMCA
- Sunday between 12-6pm: Gr. 5-8 Rec. team games @ Madision Park; and High School games at Roxbury YMCA or Madision Park
– Where do we play? Home fields for travel teams and our recreational league games are in South End & Roxbury (Rotch, Madison Park, Roxbury YMCA, Hurley); click here for link to field locations
– What do players need to bring to the field? All players will be provided a tshirt, jersey or uniform depending on age bracket and team. Please wear shin guards, sneakers or turf shoes. We have a shin guard and cleat recycling program, please bring donations with you to the field and please let your coach know if you need cleats or shin guards. Balls and other equipment will be provided on the field.
– What is the cost?
- Recreational play is at no cost to player and families, we only ask families donate any amount they can, every $1 helps offset equipment, uniform and admin. costs.
- Travel teams have a suggested donation to help cover costs for leagues, uniforms and training; however, every child invited to play on a travel team will play regardless of ability to pay, all donations of any amount, greatly appreciated.
- Sponsorships for teams and leagues needed - DONATE today or email email@example.com with any potential sponsors
– Does every player get placed on a team? See details at bottom of page for differences of recreation and travel teams.
– When are tryouts and registration?
Registration for Fall Coed In-house, Recreational league:
- Registration online and in-person assessments happen in August/Sept. for ages 5-14.
- Email announcements sent and website updated, if you are interested in playing, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to receive updates.
- See more information below on differences between recreation and travel, age groups and more.
Tryouts for Travel Teams:
- Tryouts in May/June for teams that play in both fall & spring – teams include Gr. 3/4 (u10), Gr. 5/6 (u12), Gr. 7/8 (u14) boys and girls teams
- If you missed tryout dates, please email email@example.com to see if slots still available
- See more information below on differences between recreation and travel, age groups, dates and more
Note on Recreational vs. Travel:
South End Soccer has offered recreational league (“in-house”) play since 2008. We give any child the opportunity to play, every registered player is placed on a team (space allowing, waitlists may apply). Our goal is to break down any barrier for urban youth to play soccer, thus our recreational league is free. We fund the program through donations of parent, community members, businesses and organizations. (click here to donate or find information on how to sponsor a team)
Travel play began in 2014 and we do not currently have the ability to place all interested players on a travel team. Travel team players are selected based on an assessment process of skill, commitment level and positive attitude. We don’t require any fees to play but do have a suggested donation for those whom are able, we appreciate the donation to help with costs of premiere uniforms, coach training and league fees. Any donation amounts are greatly appreciated and every child invited to a travel team will play regardless of abliity to donate.
We have grown tremendously since founding in 2008, and we greatly appreciate your continued support as we create opportunities for urban youth to get on the field and create pathways for youth to play at the skill and commitment level best for them.
We need YOU!
South End Soccer works because of our donors and volunteers. Many thanks to all those who give their time, support and hard work!
The generous donations of funding and time of parents, community members, local businesses and organizations make it possible for neighborhood youth to get on the field without fees or participant charges. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the field to coach or to sponsor the program TODAY!
Donations & sponsorships provide the funding for registration and insurance with Mass Youth Soccer, equipment, uniforms, coach training and more. Coaches are provided training and support to deliver the highest quality of training to our players.